Monday, February 28, 2011

It's the publishing wave of the future

Pay attention to Mr. Lankford!

Amplify’d from www.publishersweekly.com


Waiting for a Fair E-book Split - David to Goliath: Keep the Advance


By Terrill Lee Lankford
things
things
During a recent conversation about the new book, the editor once again mentioned that he also wanted to release an e-book version of my first novel, Shooters. I reminded him that I didn't want to do that until we were solidly in business together on the new work. After the call, I started thinking about the e-book aspect of the deal again, which we hadn't discussed in many months. At that time he had said e-book rights would be "highly negotiable." But I knew things had been changing rapidly on that front so I sent him an e-mail asking, "What is the current split for e-books?" His response: "The split for e-books is 75% publisher, 25% author." Me: "Do you have that backwards?" E-silence. I sent another note: "I'm serious: was this a typo? Does the publisher actually take 75%?" Him: "Yes. The publisher takes 75%." Me: "This amazes me. No amount of ‘platforming' can justify this. If that's the rate they expect me to accept, I'm going to have to pass. On both projects."
Read more at www.publishersweekly.com
 

No comments: